Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 3, 2013

Longhope to Wick

Firstly, lets get the bad news out of the way.I woke up this morning and the iPhone was completely dead, despite having been on charge all night. I took it up to the Lifeboat station, and tried the mains charger in there, again with out any success. Dead iPhone. This means that keeping the blog up to date can only be carried out with the laptop, for which I need wi-fi connection. It also means that putting picture on the blog may not be simple as I'll need to download them from the camera, on to the laptop.

I have been carryng one of my many spare phones, so I swapped the sim card into the Manx Telecom phone and now I can send and recieve texts, and talk to my Chrissy.
Other than that minor inconvieniance, a good day.
Colion arrived at 09:00 and drove us over to the Longhope Lifeboat Museum, for which he is also a volunteer. A 1932 Watson Class, kempt in wonderful condition in her original shed. One of the later lifeboats was lost with all hands in 1969.

Colin did offer to take us on a tour of the island but we needed to be away by 12:00
We slipped out the harbour at about five to twelve and we were soon gripped by the tide against us. For a while our speed dropped to under a knot. With very little wind we just had to sit there until the tide turned in our favour, and shortly after we were up to well over five knots.
In the clear sunshine, we motored across the Pentland Firth, leaving a small wake on the flat seas.
We arrived shortly after 18:00 in Wick, where we mored in the marina.

No comments:

Post a Comment