Powered By Blogger

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Lossiemouth to Banff

I ate on board last night.
In the morning, walking back after my shower, I did have a guided tour of a Westerly Riviera, Oriel, which was also on the Visitors berths. Very nice Motor Sailor, ideal for the Scottish Climate, and heading out to the Orkneys. I again suggested calling to see the delights of Longhope.
I did manage to find a post card before leaving, after I'd fried myself some of the huge mound of food that John had left on board. It’s  well past the best before dates on most items in the fridge. Nothing too green yet.
I left Lossiemouth a few hours before HW. It is 25 miles to Banff, and I didn't want to arrive too near low water as the inside of the harbour dried out.
I spotted some dolphins in the bay as I left. There was a light wind from the NW, so I was able to use the sails for a while, but keeping the engine on to keep the speed up to five knots. After a while, even the little breeze died away and the sun came out.
As planned, I entered Banff harbour about two hours before Low Water. It is a beautiful harbour, and very compact. I barely had room to turn Calviere II before putting her onto a visitors berth.
I walked into town, bought a post card at the tourist Information and some provisions from the Co-op. I'm sitting in the harbour office, wondering where the harbourmaster is, using his wi-fi. I can't get back to the boat as I need a key from the harbourmaster. 
James, the Harbour Master, is a fellow Westerly Owners Association member, with a Centaur. Now that is the sort of job I’d like. Keep my own little boat in my own little harbour, surrounded by beautiful scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment