Powered By Blogger

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Stonehaven to Arbroath

It wasn't a particularly comfortable night against the wall at Stonehaven. There was a bit of a swell, and due to the long length of the mooring lines, we kept having violent jerks as the lines went tight. The lines had to left long due to the tidal range.

The weather wasn't the ideal that I had been enjoying, a bit cooler and a bit damper, but it was a useful breeze. The longer range forecast was also a bit more lively later in the week. I couldn't leave Calviere II in Stonehaven unattended as the berth wasn't good or secure. I needed to move on.

The sail to Arbroath was exciting and fun for most of the way, a close reach with the tide running under us we were moving along at around six knots. The autohelm again decided not to play, but it was able to keep the helm fixed while I had my lunch or updated the log. I had put a reef in the genoa shortly after leaving Stonehaven, but with a couple of hours still to go, I needed to put away more genoa and reef the main.

The wind continued to increase, so I put away all the genoa and motored towards Arbroath. The seas had built and the occasional wave came over the sprayhood. Also the sea was coming from the port quarter and a couple of breaking waves did make it over the dodgers.

The approach into Arbroath was not so fun. The sea coming from directly behind and the tide pushing one way, and the wind the other, it was a bit like a wet roller coaster. I lined up the leading marks and held on.

It was still bumpy in the outer harbour, but I swung to starboard and all was calm in the middle harbour. Here I prepared the lines and fenders before entering the locked marina harbour, where the marina staff were waiting to catch my boat on the pontoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment