Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Productive day, but no sailing

The weather forecast for today had looked doubtful yesterday and lying in my berth this morning I could hear the wind whistling through the rigging. It was a bit over the top of comfortable, if it had been blowing from a useful direction, we may have headed out, but it wasn’t. It was from the SW, so if we had left, it would have been on the nose all the way.
Without leaving my warm bed, I made the decision that today wasn’t going to be a sailing day. From the ZZZ’s coming from the ‘Forward Ensuite Stateroom’, I could tell that John agreed.
After our excellent meal last night, followed by the Single Malts, we weren’t ever so hungry. Breakfast was a glass of Orange juice, after which John went off shopping and I set about some repairs.
First, the plug and socket on the autohelm were changed. This wasn’t completely straight forward as the chandler had supplied the wrong item, but by swapping parts from the old one, I was able to complete the task.
This was followed by sorting out the AIS which hasn’t been transmitting this year. The diagnostic program on the PC said the antenna was faulty, so I changed it for one I’d ordered on the internet. Again, they supplied the wrong one, and it had to be returned for one with the correct plug. I connected it up and once again the AIS is transmitting.
By now I was on a roll, so out came the new Bluetooth dongle for the PC, result. That was followed by the Long Range WI-Fi dongle, with the directional antenna. All the drivers were loaded, dongle plugged in and wow, a list of available Wi-Fi connections.
Whilst out shopping John had booked us back into the restaurant for lunch, so after a short walk round the town we had our Sunday Roast.
John and I thought we deserved the onboard afternoon snooze, but we weren’t to get it until much later. Parked outside the restaurant was the Arbroath Tourist Train and it would be leaving shortly. We leapt aboard. We couldn’t have looked too spritely, me with my walking stick, as the young girl gave us two concessionary fares. We didn’t argue with her.

The train took us along the front, passed the funfair, passed the football stadium, passed the golf courses, up to the abbey, down the High Street, and passed all the fish smokers. 

After all that excitement, we deserved our snooze.

No comments:

Post a Comment